Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Up, Up, and Away

    Ever since I was little I have been fascinated with the moon. I have always said I would love to be an astronaut and travel to the moon one day if it wasn't so hard to become an astronaut and if I was smarter. And you know the whole possibility of blowing up in the sky in a space shuttle kind of sounds a little less than appealing at times. Even here safe on the ground though I always find myself looking up at the sky; at the sun, the moon, and the stars. I always love visiting my cousins out in the middle of nowhere Louisiana, because on a clear night the sky is full of so many tiny little stars, and it is something I look forward to seeing every year. Recently I had the chance to be hosted by a couple in Houston, Texas and they had a beautiful pool in their backyard, but that wasn't what fascinated me. What captured my attention was how when I tilted back on my pool noodle and looked into the night sky it was completely full of  shimmering stars. It looked like a humongous lite-bright in the sky. I could have stared up there for hours. Being in that pool in Texas reminded me of my dream as a little kid to be an astronaut and how now that I am older my dreams have totally and completely changed. Not once, not twice, not even three times have I changed my mind about what I want to study in college, what I want to make a career out of, and how I dream to spend the rest of my life. More like twelve million times. First it was a veterinarian, then I wanted to own my own bakery, next I wanted to own my own bookstore, back to bakery, a little chunk of time contemplating forensics,back to the bookstore, a little thought about nursing and here I am today wanting to become a teacher. At first I was thinking health teacher, I have always loved learning about things like that and had an amazing health teacher my sophomore year that was a great inspiration and role model for me. However recently I feel I want to change my dreams again, but I find myself becoming afraid. What if I don't make enough money? What if I hate my job? What if I'm really super terrible at it? As I grow older I have began to notice that my dreams are beginning to scare me. Like the astronaut thing. I was dead set on being an astronaut until I saw the movie Apollo 13, realized how dangerous it could be, and immediately amended my dreams for the future so they didn't paralyzing fear. I also woke up the other day from a dream where I saw myself in the future. I was standing in front of a class full of students, only I wasn't teaching health. I had a copy of The Great Gatsby in my hand and I was teaching an English class. I woke up and started to think about what I had just saw in my dream, and I kind of liked it. So now as I think about what I want to study in college my dreams of the future have made yet another turn. I am worried that people will think that I won't succeed in a job like that. That I won't make enough money, or that I made such a large fuss about wanting to be a health teacher or study something in the health profession that they won't be pleased about how I have decided to live my life. Then I remember that these are my dreams. I shouldn't care so much about what others think about me and the decisions I make in order to try and make my dreams come true. If I want to teach, I should study education. If I decide to run away to Africa and start my own safari business, then so be it. As long as I am happy with my decisions, as long as I am happy with the way my future is going to look. As long as I am happy, I am going to allow whatever dream I have to make me as excited for the future as the night sky once did. I am going to let my dreams take me up, up, and away, And you should too.

1 comment:

  1. I really like how you wrote this post. I think that you'll do a great job whatever you choose to do. Just follow your heart, and your mind will find a way to make things work :)

    -smilesifyXO
    smilesnomatter.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete